Whether you’re a master at strobing or simply a fan of the dewy, post-yoga look, you’ve probably noticed that highlighter is having a major moment. Luckily, the trend is quite accessible (highlighter is pretty forgiving if you start with a light touch). Also, contrary to what you may have heard, you can use highlighter if you have oily skin. Or dry skin, for that matter. Simply allow your complexion to guide your choice of highlighter formula and application process (more on that below). The right highlighter can bestow such a beautiful, (pearl-free) pearlescent touch, it would be a shame to miss out! Fortunately, we’ve got a vegan and cruelty-free highlighter for everyone.
5 Fun Ways to Use Highlighter
- Try strobing for instant “that glow, tho” compliments. Apply highlighter to your brow bone, the inner corners of your eyes, your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, and your cupid’s bow. (For the low-maintenance version, just apply to cheek- and brow bones.)
- Mix a bit of loose powder or liquid highlighter with your liquid foundation for a customised, all-over dewy look.
- Dust highlighter along your collarbones next time you’re wearing a low-cut top (and feeling a little flirty).
- Replace your usual eyeshadow with highlighter for an airy, shimmery summer look.
- Pat a small amount of highlighter on the fullest part of your bottom lip and add a touch to your cupid’s bow to draw attention to your lips.
O Vegan and Cruelty-Free Highlighters
Perfect for: All skin types but especially oily—the papers double as a blotting paper, the product is non-comedogenic, and the disposable papers are more hygienic than a used makeup brush. Mai Couture highlighting papers are also great for highlighting cheekbones on-the-go.
Perfect for: Dry skin—the combination of plant-based oils help moisturise skin and contribute to a lit-from-within-glow. Galaxy Milk is also excellent for giving a liquid foundation an added touch of dewiness.
Perfect for: All skin types, especially normal to dry. This primer lends a subtle glow to skin, so it’s ideal if you’re looking for under-the-radar radiance. The impressive blend of antioxidants supports healthy, smooth skin in the process.
Perfect for: All skin types and those who love crystal healing. This highlighter gets its luster from actual stones, including pyrite, opal, moonstone, and sunstone. The pigment is sourced from antioxidant-rich fruit pigments, making this a skin-loving way to get your glow on.
Perfect for: Normal to dry skin. This cream highlighter is formulated with moisturising coconut oil and vitamin E, which will help it blend seamlessly with other cream or liquid formulas.
Perfect for: Normal to dry skin. Formulated with a blend of botanical extracts, this liquid highlighter functions as a radiance-boosting serum, too. Can be combined with foundation or used alone as a pretty finishing touch.
Perfect for: All skin types but especially oily. This mineral highlighter combines well with oil-absorbing mineral and powder foundations. With only three ingredients, this highlighter feels light and breathable.
For more vegan beauty tips, follow Vilda on Instagram
Header photo via Pexels