Meet Team Vilda is back, and this time we’re chatting with Vilda’s fashion writer and stylist Sica Schmitz, founder of ethical and vegan online boutique Bead and Reel. Sica’s work for Vilda is often focused around eye-opening, insightful articles about the fashion industry, such as The Ethics of Cotton and How to Shop Like a Feminist, but Sica also lets us in behind the scenes at some of her exciting ventures such as the Fair Trade Fashion Show in LA.
1. Where in the world are you based? Los Angeles, CA
2. What do you love about being on Team Vilda? I love getting to be a part of a group of such passionate, inspiring vegan women who have so much knowledge to share – I’m always learning something new!
3. What’s your favourite piece that you’ve done for Vilda? I am currently working on a vegan restaurant review of Seattle and it’s been so much fun to try out the food and feel of a new city!
4. Describe your personal style in three words: minimalist, conscientious, evolving
5. Who are your style icons? Tilda Swinton, Katharine Hepburn, Edith Head, Florence Welch
6. What’s your favourite food? There is so much amazing vegan food that I couldn’t even begin to choose one favourite! I adore nachos, mac & cheese, french toast, and tofu salad sandwiches – all vegan, of course.
7. What’s the last song you listened to? “Third Eye” by Florence + The Machine – it’s on my short list of songs I listen to every week.
8. What are some places that you dream of visiting? High on my to-do list are Sweden, Vietnam, and I would love to make it back to Bali. I also can’t wait to go to Kenya next year!
9. What would you do if you won £10million in the lottery tomorrow?
I would open all the new divisions and projects of Bead & Reel
that I dream of, start a small sanctuary to take in animals in need, make a huge donations to my favorite non-profits, and help as many people and animals as I possibly could.
10. If you were reincarnated as an animal, what would you be? Sadly, there are so many animals that aren’t treated well in this world simply because of their species. I would love to be an elephant (they are so magical), but an upper middle class Golden Retriever would probably be a safer choice.
11. What’s your favourite colour? black for fashion, red for lipstick
12. What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
Often I don’t realise how scary something is until after I’ve done it. In retrospect I should have been more nervous about uprooting my life to move to NYC in my early twenties, traveling abroad alone, or buying and renovating an RV to live in while driving around the US. However, the scariest (and most rewarding) thing I’ve ever done was risking everything I had and leaving my job on a hit TV show to start Bead & Reel
13. Would you do it again? Absolutely!
14. Who would play you in a movie about your life? If I had a say, definitely vegan actress Kate Mara.
15. What’s your favourite quote? “Each of us has a unique part to play in the healing of the world.” ~ Marianne Williamson