Ever have those evenings you want a hearty, warm, filling SOMETHING, but don’t want to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen? Well, here is just the recipe!
This sweet potato and aubergine bake (two of my favourite things) has a rich tomato sauce and lovely crumbed pistachios on top for a crispy, “cheesy” finish. It’s tasty, satisfying, gluten-free, dairy-free and suits a quiet evening in or entertaining friends.
Serves: 4 people
Time: 2 hours
2 Sweet Potatoes, washed
2 Aubergines/”Eggplant” for the Aussies
1/2 Cup whole Pistachios
2 cloves garlic
1 can organic kidney beans
2 cans of organic tinned tomatoes
1 tbsp Tomato Paste/Puree
salt and pepper
3 tbsp Sunflower Oil
(Optional) Nutritional Yeast
1) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2) Prep the sweet potato and aubergine on two baking trays. Slice lengthways and drizzle with a little sunflower oil, salt and fresh rosemary.
4) Place into the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
5) Put a large saucepan on medium heat with 1 tbsp of Sunflower Oil. Dice onion and garlic cloves.
6) Sautee onion and garlic until slightly brown. Add tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Leave on a low heat to let all the flavours combine.
7) Take vegetables out of the oven when cooked (test with a knife).
8) In a medium-sized oven dish, place one layer of sweet potato slices at the bottom, followed by one layer of aubergine. Put a few spoonfuls of sauce on top. On top of the sauce, do another layer of sweet potato, then aubergine and continue until you have used all the slices.
9) On top, pour the remaining sauce, coating evenly.
10) Place Pistachios in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
12) Put back into the oven for ten minutes.
13) And your lovely sweet potato bake is ready to serve! Enjoy 🙂