One of my favorite childhood meals was Tuna fishcakes. My father always made them: Tuna and mashed potato folded together and fried off until they were nice and crispy. I could devour a million easily with mayonnaise slathered on top.
I was a healthy child 😉
This recipe is inspired by old-school fish cakes, but these are 100% fish-free and VEGAN baby. They are wholesome, healthy and easy to make. (Also perfect for leftovers and taste even better the next day!)
*For this recipe you will need a good blender. A staple for any kitchen… right? 😉
Serves: 2 people (with some leftovers)
Takes: 1 hour
Ingredients: (Makes approximately 6 Patties)
2 Medium-sized White Potatoes
1 can Organic Chickpeas
2 cloves Garlic
1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
2 Tbsp Capers
1 teaspoon minced Ginger
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup Fresh Coriander
2 Springs Fresh Rosemary
1/2 cup Rocket
Salt and Pepper
Flour, Flaxseed and salt for crumbing.
Sunflower Oil for frying.
Carrots, Parsnip and Sweet Potato for Roasting
Salt and Pepper
Lemon Tahini Dressing:
2 Tbsp Tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp Flaxseed
1/4 cup water
1) Begin by placing your oven on a medium heat.
2) Fill a large saucepan with water to boil. Once water is boiling – add your potatoes (halve or quarter your potatoes so they cook faster. Leave skins on.)
3) Prep your accompanying vegetables for roasting – the sweet potato, parsnips and carrots (I threw in some leftover white potatoes too). Place them all on a large baking tray with some sunflower oil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Oven roast for approximately 40 minutes.
4) In a frying pan – add your Sunflower oil, diced onion and diced garlic. Saute until browned and nicely aromatic.
5) Now, it’s BLENDER time! Add the chickpeas, coriander, capers, ginger, rocket, rosemary, lemon juice and the sauteed onion/garlic combo into your blender. Pulse this carefully. You don’t want to over-blend – just blitz until the chick-peas are broken up. Use a spoon to stir all together and then scoop out of the blender into a large bowl.
6) Add the cooked potatoes to this bowl and mash everything together. As you mash, add salt and pepper and any further herbs if you like. Taste as you go.
7) When you’re happy with these flavors – prep a plate with some wholemeal flour, flaxseed a little sprinkling of salt to crumb the patties.
8) Use your hands to make patties and then roll in your flour crumbing. Set aside on a large plate.
9) In the same frying pan from earlier – add a bit more oil and fry off the patties until they are a little brown on both sides. Be careful with them, as they will be a little delicate.
10) After you have fried off all patties – keep them in the oven on a low heat until ready to serve.
11) Now – you can prep the rest of dinner! Check on your oven-roasting veggies and keep them on a low heat until serving time.
12) To make the Lemon Tahini Dressing – simply combine Tahini, Lemon Juice, Flaxseed and water in a small bowl and stir together vigorously until you have a lovely paste. You can make this as thick or thin as you like, but I like mine a bit thick!
13) To serve – pile up some roasted veggies and top with two “Fish Cakes”, then drizzle with Lemon Tahini Dressing.
If you have any Egg-free Mayonnaise, that goes really well with this recipe too. Enjoy!