Whether you prefer a natural, bare-faced look or a bit of sparkle, the new season has something to offer. Two of our Beauty Writers delved into catwalk trends to discover two contrasting styles that will see you through autumn, winter and beyond. Which side are you on?
Bare Faced Beauty
The ”no makeup” makeup has been on the fashion week catwalks for many seasons now, and is just as trendy this fall judging by the makeup looks on the A/W ’14 catwalks. Stella McCartney, 3.1. Philip Lim, Giambattista Valli, Hugo Boss, Jason Wu, and Isabel Marant (all pictured below) were only some of the designers that opted for the bare face look.
The “no makeup” makeup is all about looking like you didn’t have time to put on your makeup, but with a little added freshness. Unless you wake up with amazing skin, thick brows, and bambi lashes, you are going to need a little bit of help from your makeup bag to nail this look. The best part about this beauty trend is that it is really easy to do, you only need your basic makeup items for it, and you can be ready in no-time! Plus, you will look fresh and fabulous throughout the day.
How to do it:
- Always start with a good moisturizer to prep your skin. Try one of Lush’s fantastic moisturizers, like Celestial if you have dry and sensitive skin.
- Next, use a CC Cream, such as Arbonne Intelligence CC Cream, or a light foundation to even out your skin tone
- If you have any breakouts or dark rings under your eyes that you want to cover up, you can apply a concealer. Too Faced Absolutely Flawless Concealer has great coverage and a creamy consistency.
- Fill in your brows – this makes all the difference, and if you’re not normally doing it, you should! Eyebrows with the right shape and color can really help frame your features. Try e.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit, which contains both an eyebrow shadow to fill in the brows and a tinted wax which helps define and shape the brows.
- This step is optional, but makes a ton of difference: gently brush a taupe eye shadow, like Laced from Urban Decay, on your lids to give them more dimension and definition.
- Add a subtle blush on your cheeks, preferably a pink one that will make your cheeks look rosy and fresh. Try the HD Blush from e.l.f. in the shade Superstar.
- Use a brown mascara on your lashes for a more natural look. Apply 1-2 layers of Jane Iredale Lengthening mascara in Brown Black.
- Finish the look with a hint of color on your lips. A lip stain, such as Tarte LipSurgence Matte Lip Tint in the shade Hope, is perfect for this.
That’s it! You’ve created a catwalk-worthy everyday look that works well for both business and pleasure. Since the eight steps above don’t take more than five minutes to complete, you can treat yourself to 10 extra minutes of sleep – although it doesn’t sound like much, we all appreciate it on cold autumn mornings.
Metallic makeup is going to be huge this season. Think molten eyes, shimmery skin, bronzed lips and glittery nails. At Fashion Week models were seen rocking the metallic look at the likes of Alexander McQueen, Christian Dior, Rodarte and Marc Jacobs. Warm gold, green and bronze colours are well suited to this time of year and will be perfect to wear for parties, while shimmery silvers and frosty whites will give you a pretty snow queen look. Copy our complete look if you’re feeling bold, or pick and mix by opting to wear just one or two metallic products at once.
How to do it:
1. Apply your foundation and concealer then sweep Everyday Minerals Pearl Finishing Dust all over your face to brighten your skin and give a subtle shimmer. Fill in your brows if necessary.
2. Apply a metallic eye shadow in your favourite shade all over your lids. For an open-eyed look, use a thin brush to take the eye shadow into the inner corner of your eyes. For an even more daring look, take the colour all the way under your lower lashes as well. One of our favourite metallic products is Alima Pure Pearluster Eyeshadow in Atlantis.
3. For sultry silver eyes, try Lily Lolo Mineral Eye Shadow in Gunmetal.
4. Party plans? If you’re going for a shimmering evening look, Alima Pure Organic Satin Eye Shadow in Lavish is the perfect golden shade.
5. If you aren’t brave enough to go full on metal on your eyes, simply line your upper lids with a little metallic eyeliner. Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner is perfect and comes in loads of glitzy shades.
6. Line the lower rims of your eyes with a black kohl pencil, apply two coats of mascara and sweep some blusher onto the apples of your cheeks. Keep lips simple by applying a nude colour, or stick to the metallic theme by using Beauty Without Cruelty Natural Infusion Moisturising Lipstick in Copper .
7. If you prefer a gloss, try OCC Metallic Lip Tar in Pris.
8. Complete the look by painting your nails with SpaRitual Nail Lacquer in Bismuth.
Compiled by Jessica Sjoholm and Anja Lastric
Header photo by Whitney Taylor