Nothing beats a classic Victoria sponge cake. This ‘I can’t believe its vegan’ cake has a modern twist of a strawberry and balsamic jam filling. As much as I’d love to make jam from scratch, I have the age-old problem of lack of time; if you’re in the same boat, follow this easy cheats jam recipe and no one will ever know you didn’t spend ours over the hob. Balsamic vinegar makes the flavour of strawberries pop, adding to their acidic tang and enhancing the lasting sweetness. The perfect flavour-fusion when sandwiched with lashings of dairy-free vanilla buttercream in a light Victoria sponge cake.
For the cake:
400g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
200g granulated sugar
400ml soya milk
120 ml sunflower oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
For the strawberry balsamic jam:
200g strawberry jam
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 large ripe strawberries, chopped
For the vanilla buttercream:
3 tbsp Vitalite (or any other dairy-free margarine), softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g icing sugar
1 punnet of strawberries, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas Mark 4.
2. To make the sponge cake, sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir through the sugar. Pour in the soya milk, sunflower oil and vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix as this will affect the finished texture. Pour into greased baking tins and bake in the oven for 22-24 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool fully before removing from the tins.
3. For the strawberry balsamic jam, heat the store-bought jam, balsamic vinegar and chopped strawberries in a pan, bring to the boil over a medium heat, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened. Set aside and allow to cool.
4. To prepare the buttercream, mix the Vitalite and vanilla extract in a bowl. Gradually add the icing sugar until a thick mixture is formed. Using a mixer, whisk the buttercream for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
5. To assemble the cake, generously spread one half of the cake with the jam and the other half with buttercream. Place one half on top of the other so the fillings are sandwiched together. Spread the remaining buttercream over the top of the cake and decorate with ripe strawberries.