We all know that moment only too well: you’re in the office, it’s “treats time” (most often for someone’s birthday, celebrating a big company milestone or a major holiday) and out come the cakes with whipped cream, the milk chocolate, the gelatine-filled sweets, the eggy biscuits and the crisps – even the crisps! – come with “dry milk powder”. You, the office vegan, sit in silence and smile at your coworkers while they stuff their faces: you don’t want to look like you’re jealous, spiteful or don’t want anyone to enjoy themselves. You’re just kicking yourself for not bringing something veggie and having to bite into an apple once again (not that there’s anything wrong with apples – they’re fabulous) while everyone else is having a sugary indulgefest. Case in point: Easter. Also known as “that spring holiday with lots of chocolate”, many seem to have forgotten that the main hero of the day here is Jesus Christ, not the Easter Bunny, for the abundance of rabbit-shaped chocolate delicacies that fill the supermarkets this time of year. Add chocolate eggs to the mix and many vegans feel left out of the fun. But what many don’t know is that dark chocolate (healthier and vegan-friendly!) milk chocolate’s more sophisticated and worldly big sister, is just as suitable for Easter goodies as traditional milky flavours. Just have a look at our selection of yummy, decadent and in some cases oh-so-pretty veggie-friendly treats! Enjoy.
1. Hollow chunky chocolate in a package pretty enough to make a wonderful Easter gift, Montezuma’s
2. The ultimate in veggie luxury – this faceted beauty has 70% dark, pure chocolate, Hotel Chocolat
3. Vegan caramel? It exists – and is decadently delicious, Choices at Alternative Stores
4. Dark chocolate with almond praline will make a great present (unless you eat it all yourself!), Animal Aid Shop
5. Bring these to work to hand out as treats! MooFree at Amazon
6. Fondant egg halves – snack on these with your afternoon coffee, D&D Chocolates
7. It’s not really Easter without bunnies! Premium Chocolatiers
Happy Easter from Team Vilda!
Header photo by Grażyna Suchecka at sxc.hu