The new year has just begun, and we still can feel the anticipation of all the great things to come in 2014. With our minds full of new ideas, we also want to give our bodies a kickstart, and a boost so you thrive throughout the year. To give your body the same kickstart, we have put together seven easy detox tips for you, that can easily be integrated into your daily routine.
1. Start the day with oil pulling. After you woke up and before you brush your teeth, take one tablespoon of organic and raw coconut oil, and swish it between your teeth without swallowing. If you can, do it for 10 minutes and more, then spit it out (feels great to get rid of all the toxins). Then brush your teeth. If this initially feels strange, try it only for a few minutes and then increase slowly. This is simple, but this ancient practice is known to boost energy, whiten teeth, clear skin, regulate menstrual cycles, and help improving your sleep.
2. Drink a glass of warm water with lemon before breakfast. This gently helps to kickstart your indigestion system for the day. Take luke warm water and freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon. This boosts your immune system, balances the PH level and hydrates your lymph system. For even more immune system boosting: drink fresh ginger and lemon tea (we learned this one from Diane Von Furstenberg).
3. Trade in your daily coffee for matcha green tea. We do love coffee, but it is known to be extremely acidic and can cause dehydration. So skip your daily Starbucks for a while, and try the highest quality powdered green tea available. Matcha has been consumed for over a millennium in the Far East, and recently became famous as a superfood in Western Hemisphere. This magic tea is high in antioxidants, naturally detoxifies your body, and increases your energy level without any side effects.
4. Eat greens: chlorophyll aka liquid sunshine helps healing and detoxifying your blood. It strengthens your immune system, eases inflammation and improves circulation. High in chlorophyll are greens, such as spinach, asparagus, broccoli, kale, leeks, and turnip greens. Best is to eat these greens raw, but steaming, sautéing or blanching is the next best option.
5. Drink greens: We love to start our day with a green smoothie or green juice. They are packed with chlorophyll, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. You will instantly feel the energy and after a few days, you will see the difference (hello glow!). These power drinks are best to consumed first thing in the morning (after the lemon water), and before you eat your regular breakfast. They can also be substituted for breakfast, more is more can be applied here. The difference between juice and smoothies in short: Juice is a smoothie without the fiber. We have selected a list of our favourite green detox drinks for you.
6. Skip animal products: meat, fish, eggs and dairy are acidic foods, that can imbalance your PH system. With an alkaline, vegan diet you give your body the chance to heal and repair naturally. Veggies, fruit, grains, green juice, green smoothies, superfoods, legumes, and nuts will help you to get rid of stored toxins and help to clean your body.
7. Oldies but goldies – these tips have you heard before for sure: keep your body hydrated with water and eat lots of veggies and fruit. Trust us on these, when you eat the colours of the rainbow, and you will feel and look great.