“When in doubt, wear red.” – this memorable quote from the late fashion designer Bill Blass is always fitting, but especially when it comes to festive occasions. The holidays are just around the corner, including a lot of dressing up for events, dinner parties and family gatherings. A red lip is an instant mood enhancer, makes us feel even prettier and more elegant – and the best thing is: red lips are a true classic and will always be in style.
1. Creamy, soft and nourishing: Beauty Without Cruelty in Ripe Cherry is designed for all day wear and has special properties which ensure a long lasting look. There are no added fragrances, so this is the hypoallergenic lipstick choice for sensitive skin. Made in the UK with all natural waxes.
2. Ilia Lip Crayon in 99 balloons: A real red with a touch of blue. This is a straight forward classic packed with healing oils of sesame, rose hip and papaya.
3. Ilia Lip Gloss in Hear Beat: With a smooth application and gentle coverage, this lip gloss can be paired with any of other red lip piece, or alone for a dressed up pout. Your lips stay soft and hydrated with coconut oil, shea butter and vitamin E.
4. A liquid matte lipstick with unparalleled pigment intensity and wear time: Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics in Harlot. Only the smallest amount of this neon popsicle red is needed for opaque coverage. Contains organic hemp oil and soy-derived vitamin E, for a finish that feels as good as it looks.
5. Lime Crime Lipstick in Retrofuturist: A bright, true red. Universally flattering, bold, opaque, and recklessly loaded with pigment. For lips that speak louder than words.
6. A lip stain that goes on liquid and dries completely matte. Touch-proof, long-wearing, and utterly addictive: Please meet Lime Crime Velvetines in Red Velvet.
7. Lush Lipstick in Ambition: A pillar box red that doubles as a cream blusher. The soft base, which is a simple blend of organic jojoba oil, candelilla wax and rose wax, carries the colour pigments incredibly well, whilst also being intensely skin-softening and soothing. For a more subtle colour, mix with a lip balm.
How to apply red lipstick: Prepare your lips with a gentle peeling and put on some hydrating lip balm. Before applying any colour on the lips, dab them lightly with a tissue, so only a bit of balm remains on the lips – otherwise your lipstick will wear off quickly. Then start with a matching lip liner and fill in the lips with product. For a more precise result use a lip brush. Dab your lips once again with a tissue, and then apply one more coat of colour. If you are looking for only a bit of red lip stain, dab the lipstick on only with your finger.
Pictures: BWC, Ilia, OCC, Lime Crime & Lush