Once I heard from a friend who travels a lot to the United States, that the N.Y. Times editorial team loves three cities: first and foremost New York City, obviously. Then Portland, Oregon, and Berlin in Germany. Having adored Berlin myself for many years from afar and up close during visits, I am very happy to live now in such a beloved city. Besides from great art, culture, and events, Berlin offers a great selection of locations, which make a cruelty-free and compassionate lifestyle very easy and very enjoyable.
We have selected seven great things for you to do in Berlin.
1) The best and coziest place for a lazy afternoon with coffee and cake: the prettiest location in town is Café Vux, where the yummiest bagels, the most delicious cakes and the best coffee are served. Icing on the cake: everything on the menu is plant-based. Located in the popular district Neukoelln and right across the street from the vegetarian and vegan Italian trattoria Ponte Verde for a seamless transition from late afternoon coffee to the dinner table. Sunday is brunch day at Café Vux.
Café Vux is located in Wipperstrasse 14, 12055 Berlin-Neukoelln
2) Pizza, pasta and green smoothies: the Italian restaurant Sfizy Veg in Neukoelln does it all and does it well. The place is always packed and lucky are these, who snatch one of the few tables. Once you are in, the real challenge begins: to choose from over 70 pizza variations. Be adventurous and select one with a burger on top. First Sunday every month is brunch with typical Italian dishes, and a delivery service is available on Fridays and Saturdays to bring all the vegan goodies directly to your doorstep.
Sfizy Veg is located in Treptower Strasse 95, 12059 Berlin-Neukoelln
3) A very particular Berlin speciality: Vöner serves the typical Berlin dish: a döner, a doner kebab, but vegan style. Located in Friedrichshain, one of the districts where the city is really happening, this place has become an institution for greasy, savory and delicious fast food. Insider tip: order the “Wagenburger” and french fries with the plant-based cheese sauce.
Vöner is located in Boxhagener Straße 56, 10245 Berlin-Friedrichshain
4) The best food in Berlin: The vegetable loving restaurant Cookies Cream is a hidden gem in Mitte. Once you have made your reservation (please note, if you wish to eat vegan. The menu is completely vegetarian) and made your way through the delivery yard at the back of the Westin Grand hotel, you will enjoy a delicious three-course meal made from fresh regional and seasonal ingredients in a stylish, industrial-chic location.
Cookies Cream is located in Behrenstrasse 55, 10115 Berlin-Mitte
5) For romantic dates: The restaurant Van Loon is located in a boat on the canal in Kreuzberg. And as if eating on a boat is not romantic enough on its own, there is a fireplace to make a visit to this special location even more memorable – perfect for these long winter evenings. A nice selection of plant-based dishes can be found on the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu as well as at the Sunday brunch buffet.
Van Loon is located at Carl-Herz-Ufer, 10961 Berlin-Kreuzberg
6) Dear Goods: This is the best location for compassionate and chic fashion shopping. You will find clothing for women and men, and a well curated selection of jewelry, bags, wallets, and home accessories. But the store is not only animal friendly; eco- and human-friendliness is also crucial for the owner Nicole Noli, who also runs two more Dear Goods boutiques in Munich.
Dear Goods is located in Schivelbeiner Straße 35, 10439 Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg
7) Food Heaven: this all vegan supermarket chain Veganz offers everything from vegetables, fruit, raw food specialities to a huge freezer filled with ice cream, pizza, every mock meat imaginable as well as a great selection of cheese, plant-based milk drinks, candy bars, cookies, and chocolate – some people call this place “food heaven”. The bistro Goodies is located in the entrance area, serving bagels, salads as well as smoothies, coffee and raw cake. Insider tip: on Sundays Veganz offers brunch with a great selection of raw dishes.
Veganz is located in Schivelbeiner Str. 34, 10439 Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg. Recently a second location opened in Friedrichshain in Warschauer Strasse 33, 10243 Berlin
Pictures: 2) Sfizy Veg, 5) left: Van Loon, 7) Veganz